The Family

The Family

Friday, August 17, 2012

Organic or Not Organic... That is the question.

Just like my feelings on Minivans, (I used to say I will never drive one, now I couldn't imagine not having one) I had the same thoughts on Organic foods.  Why in the world would I pay twice as much for something just because it says ORGANIC??  Well, now I am eating my words (could they be considered organic?).  It took a long time for me to make the switch.  My grocery bill has gone up, not as much as I thought it would, but I am not buying junk anymore either.  So why did I do it?  Well, it's no secret that our house has continuing medical bills.  Anna not only has Type 1 Diabetes, but seasonal asthma.  Abby has come down with Croup a couple of times.  And I started having migraines this past year.  My doctor put me on meds to help prevent them, but I hate taking meds.  We were/are spending a fortune on medication!  Now, I am off the daily meds and just trying to be smart, and so far, only one migraine since I went off the medication about a month ago (it was a short lived migraine).  So I am experimenting with organic foods to see if it helps.  I am also trying to avoid MSG and other things of the type.  Now don't go thinking I have become some health nut either!  I still have a love of Dr. Pepper, not sure I want to give that up (everyone has a vice, right?) and on occasion, even a fast food hamburger, which is probably about as far from organic as you can get.

I do have some new found ideas that I am loving (well, new to me!).  So, when I made the switch, Joel asked what I am going to be buying for breakfast.  A friend of mine told me how she makes breakfast tacos and freezes them, so I tried it.  One night I used 2 things of all natural sausage, 14 eggs, 1 package organic shredded cheddar cheese (which by the way, have you ever noticed that organic cheddar is always white??  Why are none organic so yellow??) and whole wheat or I also found this half corn, half wheat tortillas.  I made 16 breakfast tacos, allowed them to cool and wrapped each one in parchement paper first and then plastic wrap.  Now we go to the freezer, pull out a taco, take the plastic off and pop it in the microwave for a totally healthy and mostly organic breakfast!  They are so filling and yummy!

Another favorite is a Whole wheat waffle recipe I found here: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/best_waffle_batter

Don't you just love the design!!  It's my grandma's old waffle iron.  It still works like new! I use 1 cup of Organic Whole Wheat flour and 3/4 cup unbleached white flour.  They are so yummy!  in fact, I just spent my afternoon making waffles.  I tripled, yes that's right, tripled the recipe and spent about an hour making waffles to freeze!  They are just slightly under cooked so that the toast up nicely in the toaster oven.  Now I just have to figure out how many carbs each triangle is for Anna!  But they have to be better than the frozen ones, right??  Syrup anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment